Empower and inspire your little one in her (or his) own space with our exclusive art print of the earth defender, Wangari Maathai. Illustrated by noteworthy artist Tanganyika Zinzani in her own unique style, take this thought provoking piece of art home and bring on the learning! Now available in framed or unframed options!
Learn more about artist Tanganyika Zinzani!
About Wangari Maathai
Wangari Muta Maathai (1940-2011) was a Kenyan politician, environmental activist, and the first black African woman to win a Nobel Peace Prize. Her work was often considered both unwelcome and subversive in her own country, where her outspokenness constituted stepping far outside traditional gender roles. Maathai earned her Bachelor's and Master's Degree in the United States and went on to receive a Ph.D. at the University of Nairobi in 1971, becoming the first woman in either East or Central Africa to earn a doctorate. She began teaching in the Department of Veterinary Anatomy at the University of Nairobi and in 1977 she became chair of the department. While working with the National Council of Women of Kenya, Maathai developed the idea that village women could improve the environment by planting trees to provide a fuel source and to slow the processes of deforestation and desertification. The Green Belt Movement, an organization she founded in 1977 planted 30 million trees by the early 21st century. Leaders of the Green Belt Movement established the Pan African Green Belt Network in 1986 in order to educate world leaders about conservation and environmental improvement. In addition to her conservation work, Maathai was also an advocate for human rights, AIDS prevention, and women’s issues.
Shipping: **At this time please allow up to 15 business days for unframed prints and 30 business days for framed prints to be produced and shipped. In order to ensure the health of our manufacturing partners during the COVID-19 pandemic, our print facilities are working with a limited staff and delays in fulfillment are possible.
Unframed $10 flat rate
Framed $20 flat rate
* This item is custom made and non-refundable.
- Professional-Grade paper with bright white, smooth matte surface. Acid and Lignin-free pulp, 86% opacity.
- White Wood: Matte white solid wood contemporary style frame - cool-toned matte white finish on a simple squared profile. This simple, classic frame is at home in gallery-style art groupings.
- Maple Wood: Natural wood, clear finish, contemporary style frame - clear finish on natural maple frame allows the wood intricacies to shine through. A simple and economical frame, it’s perfect for gallery-style art groupings.
Frame Care instructions
- Dust with slightly dampened clean cloth. Do not clean acrylic with an ammonia based cleaner or it will damage.